Irvine Bicycle Accident Lawyer Upholding the Rights of Injured Cyclists
Commuting by bicycle is cheap, environmentally friendly, and allows you to get fresh air and exercise. However, there can be dangerous downsides to biking if your fellow motorists do not take proper precautions. According to the California DMV, over 10,000 bicyclists are injured yearly in motor vehicle collisions, and sadly, over 100 of those victims will pass away due to their injuries.
If you or a loved one have been hurt in a bicycle crash, you need a personal injury attorney with extensive experience in helping cyclists get the justice they deserve. Hejazi Law Group provides victims and their families with the strong, compassionate legal representation they need for their bicycle accident claims or wrongful death lawsuits.
Contact our law firm’s bicycle accident lawyers today at (949) 749-7402 to schedule a free consultation to learn about your options for taking legal action.
How Do Bicycle Accidents Happen?
If you, like many riders, have had to ride in areas without a designated bike lane or separate bike trail, you know how nerve-wracking it can be to drive in traffic.
Even when bike paths exist, there is still a significant burden of responsibility after a bicycle accident on both vehicle drivers and bike riders alike to remain aware and avoid bicycle accidents. Some of the leading causes of California bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers failing to look for or see riders, particularly when making turns
- Vehicle occupants not checking carefully for riders before opening car doors
- Driving while distracted by cell phones, conversations, eating, or other actions unrelated to the vehicle’s operation
- Failing to provide bicyclists with proper space
- Having road rage-driven interactions, such as trying to crowd bicyclists off the road or pass them in unsafe areas
- Operating a motor vehicle while fatigued or impaired by drugs or alcohol
What Injuries Can Bicycle Accident Victims Suffer?
In an accident involving a car and a bicycle, it is almost guaranteed that the bicyclist will suffer most of the injuries. Bikes provide virtually no protection to their riders against an impact with a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds, even if it’s a fairly low-speed crash.
Some of the consequences of a car vs. bike accidents can include the following:
- Back and spinal cord injuries, possibly leading to paralysis
- Head and skull injuries
- Lacerations and bruising
- Damage to internal organs
- Road rash (scrapes on the extremities caused by skidding across the pavement)
- Fractured and broken bones
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Wrongful death
Although individuals over 18 are not required by state law to wear a helmet while biking, head trauma is much more likely to occur in bicycle accident riders who do not wear helmets. Depending on its severity, a head injury can cause a lifetime of aftereffects, including personality changes, seizures, memory issues, vision problems, and more.
If you suffer from any of these issues after a bicycle accident, Hejazi Law Group’s experienced attorneys can ensure you get the compensation you deserve for medical bills related to treating your injuries.
What Damages Can Be Recovered?
A personal injury attorney can help you file a claim that seeks to recover compensation for all the current and future losses related to your bike accident. The types of damages which may be awarded in bicycle accident cases include:
- Economic damages: This may include compensation for lost wages, emergency room bills, other medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, the cost to repair or replace personal property, and any other financial expenses you incurred from your bicycle accident.
- Non-economic damages: Victims of bicycle accidents not only experience financial losses, but they suffer intangible damages as well. Compensation can be recovered for things like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and scarring.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages may be assessed by the court if the plaintiff acted in a grossly negligent or willfully malicious way, such as intentionally running the bicyclist off the road.
What Can an Irvine Bicycle Accident Attorney Do for You?
Those involved in a bicycle accident can file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company on their own. However, insurance companies are for-profit businesses that do not have the victim’s best interests in mind. They will often try to offer you much less than your personal injury claim is worth.
A skilled personal injury lawyer from Hejazi Law Group can perform a thorough investigation of your accident to build a robust personal injury claim. We will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and fight to recover a full and fair settlement for your bicycle accident claim. Call our bicycle accident attorney today to set up your free case evaluation: (949) 749-7402.